Chicken Pot Pie Stew
Chicken pot pie stew with the warm hearty flavors of pot pie without the fat and carbs
Note: the original idea for this recipe came from Dashing Dish and has been modified for the bariatric surgery diet
Start with cooking cubed chicken
In this day and age, I get excited about all the options I have to cook chicken quickly. Sometimes I find myself thinking about how I can make this quickly in my Instant Pot® but then I realize, this recipe for Chicken Pot Pie Stew really isn’t hard to begin with.
Don’t get me wrong, I do love cooking chicken quickly in a pressure cooker. However, sometimes you have to think through not overcooking the chicken if you know the recipe will go beyond the first step of cooking the chicken.
For the recipe, I knew I wanted smaller pieces of chicken instead of large chunks. The great news about small pieces of chicken is they cook quickly! Also, when I am in charge of cooking the chicken in the stockpot, I can see when it’s cooked and remove it from heat before it gets too dry.
To save on time, I do prefer using kitchen shears to remove anything unwanted from the chicken breast and then cut it down into the cube sizes I want.
If you want to keep it dairy free
You may or may not have a preference on your meals being dairy free. The good news here, is that if you DO want it dairy free…it is!
I’ve used this trick a few times and I believe the first time I heard of it was a Rachael Ray episode years ago. You can blend white beans and add it back in as a thickener. It helps it to be a little bit creamy without using a milk based product.
The drawback, yes there is a drawback, is the carbohydrates that are added with the beans. You might decide you would rather use a Greek yogurt to add a little bit of creamy texture and skip on the carbohydrates from the beans. This is where it becomes a personal decision! Dairy free or lower carb. UGH enough with the decisions already!
Other high protein stews and chilis
Chicken Pot Pie Stew
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cubed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 cup celery diced
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 tsp thyme dried
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 14.5 oz chicken broth
- 1 cup green beans frozen, cut
- 1 cup white beans
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a large stockpot to medium to medium-high heat. Spray with olive oil and add chicken. Cook a few minutes until mostly cooked through. Remove from pan and cover.
- Spray pot with oil and add onion, celery, carrots, garlic, thyme and oregano. Sauté 2-3 minutes until softened. Return chicken to the pot. Reserve a couple tablespoons of broth and add the rest of the broth and green beans to the pot. Turn heat to medium-low.
- Meanwhile, add beans and reserved broth to a blender. Blend until smooth. Add beans to the stockpot.
- Simmer stew for 20 minutes.