- 16 oz frozen cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon Chicken Better Than Bouillon**
- Water (to boil cauliflower in)
- 1 large Shallot, roughly chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 2 oz asagio cheese, grated
- 4 oz Chobani Fat Free Plain Greek Yogurt
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Chives for garnish
Image Source: The Novice Chef (website link below)
I’ve made mashed cauliflower a few times over the years. Every time it seems to come out a little different. Well, I also purposely try it different ways to see if I have a favorite.
This recipe I found on The Novice Chef’s blog and is very similar to the recipe I’ve liked the most. The only differences- I added 1 tbsp of Ranch seasoning and I used an immersion blender instead of a food processor. Either way I’m sure would work great!
Warning: don’t go into this dish thinking it will be just like potatoes. Mr W and I both decided the flavor is super similar, but the texture is just going to be different! That’s what starch does- smooths and creams together well. Take out the starch and it’s going to be a little more like grits :) Though the Greek yogurt helps tremendously. Try if for yourself!
1. In a large stock pot over high heat, combine water and the Chicken flavored ‘Better Than Bouillon’. Bring to a boil and add cauliflower. Boil for 8 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
2. In a food processor, process shallot, garlic, and asagio cheese until finely diced. Then carefully add cauliflower, Greek yogurt, and seasonings. Make sure your lid is closed back on tight and hit pulse just a couple times until everything is combined, but not pureed. You want to be careful about how many times you hit ‘pulse’ because you can process the cauliflower too much and find yourself with thick soup.
3. Once you have reached the proper consistency, empty cauliflower mixture into a medium sized bowl and give it a taste. If you need more seasonings or a little more Greek yogurt, add it and mix gently to make sure you don’t mash the cauliflower any more then it needs to be.
4. Garnish with lots of fresh chives and serve immediately!
**Or if you have extra chicken stock/broth lying around use it instead! And to make this dish vegetarian try the Better Than Bouillon Vegetable.